Monday, 16 November 2015

Ladies in waiting designs

In Sharon's lesson we discussed Elizabeth the first's ladies in waiting. It was really interesting to get an insight in the Queen's right hand ladies and learn about what their lives were like, what they did, and their husbands. Many of them had strange backgrounds and fascinating stories about them.
We had to select one lady in waiting, research her, and design a makeup look based on the attributes we liked or disliked her. I chose Elizabeth Throckmorton.

Elizabeth Throckmorton was born in 1565 and died in 1647. She was a lady of the privy chamber for Elizabeth the first and so would have known the Queen very well; they were very close. Many of the ladies in waiting were married off to good men by the Queen, and this included Elizabeth Throckmorton. She disobeyed the rules (and payed for it) when she secretly married Sir Walter Raleigh without the permission of the Queen, which precipitated a long period of royal disfavour for Raleigh.

Following on from this, the Queen was severely offended when she found out about the marriage between her lady in waiting and Raleigh. They were both imprisoned in the tower, Raleigh being released 5 weeks after imprisonment, and Elizabeth staying there for a further few months. Raleigh was executed in 1618, leaving Elizabeth Throckmorton and their only child (after the loss of their first) to fend for themselves. Elizabeth worked hard to regain her family's reputation, showing that she was a strong woman. She was described as intelligent, forthright, passionate and courageous.


DESIGNS

I have designed three looks; each differing from the next. The first design is using mainly lilac colours and a dark lip. I chose to go with paler colours to show the more intimate side of this lady in waiting. I feel like the lilac depicts love and softness; so decided to play with this. She looks soft and loving which represents the endless love she has for her husband. The dark lip represents mourning and the loss of her first child and eventually her husband. 



I then moved on to looking more at the mourning side of my lady in waiting: I wanted to do something no one else had done so I decided to jazz her up in a contemporary way by giving her a veil. This, mixed with the dark colours of blacks and reds around the eyes and a black lip, made the design very morbid but attractive. I wanted her to look almost sexy, to show that even after her husband died she was keen to build up her families reputation. 



Finally, my favourite design was my third one. I loved the use of the black and red around the eyes in my second design so incorporated it into this one as well. There's more of a smudged eye, to represent loss and mourning, however the eyebrows are arched in a way that show strength. A pale lip adds to the fact the lady in waiting no longer cares for her appearance, and the veins represent the stress in Elizabeth Throckmorton's life. I LOVE this look!


No comments:

Post a Comment