Wednesday, 21 October 2015

Experimenting with white bases

In our practical lesson with Kat we were told we needed to find out which skin base we wanted to use for our future makeup sessions and which we'd like to use for our final makeup assessment. We decided to try three different skin bases:

KRYOLAN AquaColour 


This formula was a palette that needed water added to it to create a good consistency to the face. We found that as a group the base looked patchy, uneven, and tended to dry the skin out. 


KRYOLAN Fox SuperColour


The constistency for this pallette wasn't much better than the aqua colour palette. I found that whilst experimenting with these two in particular I didn't like the drying effect; instead I wanted the models face to look smooth a dewy. This did not create this look for me.


ILLAMASQUA Skin Base


A very clever pigmented base that can be mixed with foundations to lighten them or used on it's own. This was my favourite base and I have chosen to use it for future practises and for my final design. I really loved how it looked. 



I practised my skin base on Hana. I used Kryolan AquaColour in white and applied it with a flat foundation brush. I then  used a light translucent powder over it and buffed it in with a buffing brush - the overall effect wasn't how I'd imagined as it was patchy and drying. I wanted to test it however, because it provides a more opaque base than Illamasqua's skin base. Here are the results: 




As you can see, the base is very opaque but does not have a flawless finish. I used one colour - (peachy/pink) to define certain areas but used no other make up other than that. The finished result was simple so next time I am going to be more adventurous and do something a little bit wilder; however, I do like the neatness of the eyes and the harsh lines. They suit the era very well because Elizabethan women weren't over the top, they stuck to a blushed cheek and lips, so I did blush contour and lips, and then a pink lid. I didn't white out the lashes and brows because I still wanted this simple look to have a modern feel to it. 

Products used in these photos:

  • Kryolan Aquacolour
  • Kryolan eyeshadow palette (BRIGHT)
Brushes used:
  • Kryolan foundation brush
  • Kryolan Kabuki brush
  • Kryolan powder brush
  • Kryolan eyeshadow brush

No comments:

Post a Comment