Sunday, 6 December 2015

Three brushes makeup challenge

In our lesson today we were given the challenge of creating a makeup look using only three brushes. I decided to go for a complimentary colour design as I was working on a model with very blue eyes and wanted to make them pop. I'm all about the bright colours so I wanted to use a bright goldy/orange colour and define it using a warmer golden colour.


I like the finished effect for my model as it's pretty, however I was hoping for the colours to contrast a lot more!!! As my model was fairly tanned, the orangey/gold eyeshadow complimented her skintone rather than contrasting with it. Although it makes her blue eyes pop, (which was the intention) I wish it had turned out a little bit more dramatic.

Working with three brushes only..

I found the concept of this challenge really scary. I don't seem to use many face brushes but I really like to have a selection for eyes, blending and building colour is key. The three brushes I eventually chose were: Kryolan Foundation brush, Mac fluffy tapered eye brush and a small mac lip brush.

I normally like to blend foundation into the skin using my foundation brush and then my trusty kabuki brush, however I had to make do without today and I thought it'd be dissappointed.. I was pleased with how smoothly the product went on and didn't need much blending. It was also handy that I didn't have to cake on foundation as my model had good skin and didn't require much coverage.

My favourite brush of all time is my Mac tapered eye blending brush. I knew it would be perfect for blending my two very pigmented eyeshadows together, however I also knew that applying the product with it might be tricky. It was ok.. But I had to really wipe off the product with couch roll before I started blending.

I thought using the lip brush to do eyebrows was quite tricky as normally I'd use an angled brush. I applied the product little by little which seemed to do the trick; I can imagine if product was layered on very thickly with this brush the whole thing would look awful! Again, I had to clean this brush off and use it for the lips, which was just a simple pale pink matte gloss. I didn't want the lips to be a distraction to the eyes so thought this worked well.

Products used:

  • Mac Studio fix fluid foundation in 'NW15'
  • Makeup revolutions eyeshadow palette in 'Iconic 1' using gold shimmer and pale brown
  • No7 dramatic lash mascara in black
  • L'oreal eye brow palette in dark
  • Naked lipgloss 'barely there pink'
Brushes used:
  • Kryolan foundation brush
  • Mac tapered fluffy eye brush 
  • Mac lip brush

No comments:

Post a Comment