Monday, 16 November 2015

Perfecting eyes and lips

In this lesson with Sue we learnt about eye shapes and what style of eye makeup compliments particular types. Again, working in an environment where I have to know eye shapes at Boots really benefited me, and I was really lucky to work on Katie who has big, round eyes. Here are the different shapes you can find when working on clients on an everyday basis:


As you can see from the images below, Katie has really big eyes. It was so easy to work the colours onto them - I'm used to my own eyes, which are more of a downturned shape and it's hard to actually see any eyeshadow unless it's 'mega' for an evening out. I was surprised by how much of a difference my product made even though I'd only used a little bit.

We were set the task of using two colours. I chose to go for a rose goldy shimmer eyeshadow on the main area of the eye. For the outer section and the crease, I chose a warm brown and blended the two together. I was really pleased with the dimensional look it created, and the definition it gave to Katie's eyes.

For the lips, I chose an orangey- warm toned lipstick from our kit palette. It turned out a little brighter than anticipated, however I love how the whole look comes together with the colour I used. Next time, a darker colour (a vintage rose/maybe a dusty deep pink) could be better suited to the look. I really enjoyed this practical session and having a recap on eye shapes and what suits them. I enjoyed creating a fresh, pretty look on Katie!

Three images from todays lesson
Products used:

  • No7 Cleanser, toner and moisturiser
  • No7 airbrush away primer
  • MAC studio fluid fix in NW15
  • MAC 'Amber lights' and 'Brun'
  • Collection long lash mascara black
  • L'oreal eyebrow sculpting duo in dark
  • Kryolan lip palette in R12
Brushes used:
  • Kryolan foundation brush
  • Kyrolan eyeshadow brush
  • MAC blending eye brush
  • Real Techniques angled eye fluffy brush
  • Disposable mascara wands
  • Kryolan small angled brush
  • Unnamed lip brush

Health and safety for this technical lesson:
  • Work surface area must be clean and tidy
  • Use couch roll to cover the surface of your work space 
  • Wash hands after preparing where you'll be working! Use antibacterial soap and a clean towel
  • Always lay out your brushes on the couch roll - never a surface. Make sure your brushes are always clean before you arrive 
  • Gown the model
  • Always remember to ask whether the client is allergic to anything, if so, what?
The client was allergic to Illamasqua primers so we used No7 as an alternative.
  • Does the client wear contact lenses or have sensitive eyes?
  • Cleanse the face and follow on with toner and moisturiser before applying makeup
  • Bin any dirty cotton pads, wash your hands again after this
  • Use a mixing palette or the back of your hand to mix products. Do not double dip!
  • Direct the model if necessary, looking upwards, moving their head etc

Bibliography (images):

http://katesbeautyblog.info/content/images/2015/09/Six-Eye-Shapes-1.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment